Wi-Fi network access is available in Kohn Hall. If you are visiting from an eduroam participating institution, you may select eduroam as your Wi-Fi network and login using your home institution’s credentials. Alternatively, you may connect to the KITP Wi-Fi network, please see your Welcome Packet for details.
If you would like to plug in your laptop to the wired network, please contact the HelpDesk.
Please don't unplug existing equipment, as your laptop will not work in these ports.
If you have a platform not listed above and are familiar with the configuration changes required, we will do our best to make the requisite information available.
|port:||Top right ethernet (Labeled "Data1")|
|connection mode:||DHCP (automatic)|
|DNS server:||220.127.116.11 and or 18.104.22.168|
Note that all of the above are normally optional except for the port and DHCP connection mode. If your connection still doesn't work after following the instructions below, contact the Help Desk. Your ethernet port may have to be activated if it was not previously in use.
- Open the control panels from the start menu.
- Choose the Network control panel by double-clicking it.
- Double click on TCP/IP in the list (you may have to scroll down to the bottom).
- Set it to use DHCP to obtain the IP address.
- Press OK a number of times to close all related windows.
- You may or may not need to restart your computer depending on the version of Windows you're running.
- If you're running an x windows environment, open a terminal window. If you're running in console mode, ignore this step.
- Run linuxconf by typing linuxconf at the command line. If it won't run, type whereis linuxconf to find the absolute path to the program. Then, run it using the path (i.e. /usr/sbin/linuxconf or something simliar).
- In linuxconf, set your machine to use "DHCP" to obtain an IP address.
- Set the gateway to 22.214.171.124.
- Close linuxconf and perform a network restart by typing /etc/init.d/network restart
If you know how to use the GUI tools, feel free but make sure to use DHCP and set the gateway if necessary.
- From the Apple menu at the top left hand corner of the screen, choose System Preferences.
- Click on the Network button.
- Click on the Ethernet listing and click the Configure button, or choose Ethernet from the Show popup menu.
- Click on the TCP/IP tab and choose DHCP.
- When finished, click the Apply Now button at the bottom right. There is no need to logout or restart.