- Location & Maps
KITP is in Kohn Hall, located directly across from the East Gate entrance of the UCSB campus in Santa Barbara, California.
You can find us on this campus map. Kohn Hall is near the ocean in quadrant D6, next to Lot 10. Here is another view that also shows the parking structure.
Kohn Hall Emergency Evacuation Map
If you are looking for us in a larger context, here is a Google map of KITP (in Kohn Hall) and environs.
UCSB Campus Maps
Campus maps, interactive version, and UCSB/Goleta Map.
Lot 10 is very convenient to KITP. We generally discourage driving to campus if you are here for a conference or as a program speaker--daily rates for campus parking are $8-10 per day, and some recommended hotels offer shuttles. On the 5th Floor ONLY, a VIP pass for KITP visitors to purchase at $10/day. VIP passes may be purchased for a single or several days. Do NOT use the parking permit machine in Lot 10 to buy a 'daily permit' on a weekday (unless you have a handicapped plackard and will be parking in a handicapped space). You will get a ticket! For four hours or less, you can buy an hourly "coastal" permit and park in designated first-floor stalls.
Weekly and Monthly Passes
For longer stays, you may want to purchase a long-term parking permit at a more economical rate of $56.00 per month. Be sure to identify yourself as "a KITP visitor/faculty member" to obtain the academic permit eligibility status. The staff can give you a map and directions to park in the Lot 10 structure. Permits are required Monday-Sunday 7:30am-10:00pm and can also be purchased from the parking lot pay machines after business hours (8am-5pm, M-F) when the Parking Services office is closed.
Parking Permit instructions from Transportation & Parking Services -
"Visitors needing less that eight days parking do not need to create a TPS account and may purchase permits at the TPS office, which information see below. For less than 30 days, permits should be purchased in eight day intervals.
For permits of 30 days or longer, an account must be created online.
To create a parking account, please go to the TPS website: www.tps.ucsb.edu
- Please click on the "Buy Your Parking Permit Here" button in the upper left corner.
- Click on any of the links on the next page i.e. "Manage My Account"
- At this point, you will need to click on the "newest users click here to create an account" link. This account must be created before you can purchase the appropriate permit at our office. We offer both a month (30 days) permit at $56, and a quarterly or annual permit.
A parking account must include a valid e-mail address and their vehicle information (license plate #, make, model, year, color, and VIN)
All 30-DAY permits and Daily permits have to be purchased at our parking office. Our parking office is located in Building 381 across from Harder Stadium in Lot 30. Our hours are Monday-Friday 7:30am-5pm"
Directions to Kohn Hall/UCSB
From Los Angeles International Airport:
- We recommend the Santa Barbara Airbus, particularly if you must return to LAX for your departing flight. The Airbus is reliable, efficient, and offers a reasonable round-trip fare of approximately $88 (prepaid). The nearest Airbus drop-off point to the UCSB campus is the Goleta terminal at 5755 Thornwood Drive. The Airbus drivers can call a taxi to pick you up from the airbus terminal; just request this service when you're picked up at LAX.
- If you are driving from LAX, exit the airport lot at Sepulveda Blvd., and follow Sepulveda Blvd. to the 405 North Freeway entrance. Follow 405 North to 101 North (Ventura Freeway). Remain on the 101 (for approximately one and a half hours) into Santa Barbara. Proceed through Santa Barbara and north for approximately 10 miles. Exit at the "UCSB/Ward Memorial" (Highway 217) offramp. Follow the signs onto campus. For campus directions, please review these UCSB maps.
From Santa Barbara Airport:
- The most convenient way to get to UCSB from the S.B. airport is to call "Yellow Cab" at 965-5111. The fare for the cab should be about $15; if you use the cabs at the airport, the fare is higher.
- If you are renting a car at the airport, turn right as you exit the rental car lot, onto William Moffet Lane. Follow the signs onto campus. It is less than a five-minute drive.
- If staying at The Best Western South Coast Inn, simply use the airport courtesy phone to call the Inn for pickup. If staying at Ramada Ltd., just take a taxi; your fare will be reimbursed.
Cookies, coffee, and tea are served in the Commons Room at 3:15 p.m. every day, except Tuesdays, during the school year. The kitchens must be maintained by all who use them. Please help keep the kitchens neat by cleaning up after all coffee and meal preparation.
ESPRESSO - There is an espresso machine, located in the Commons Room, on the first floor. A second machine is in the upstairs kitchen. Espresso is available to KITP scientists only for $1.00/bag (2 cartridges) from the Visitor Services Assistant in room 1102.
DRINKING WATER - Filtered water is available in the downstairs kitchen, there is also a water dispenser upstairs across from the elevator.
Sending and Receiving Mail
The mail room can be opened with your perimeter (black) key. Mail is received and sent out once each day at approximately 8:15 a.m. Fed Ex items usually are received and picked up throughout the day, but all requests for pickup must be phoned in before 3 p.m. Professional mail should bear the KITP return address and the name of the sender.
The University requests that personal mail, even though it is stamped, not be mailed through the campus mail, but rather be placed in a U.S. mailbox. There is a mailbox across the service road on the west side of the KITP by ENG I and the MRL and a U.S. Post Office downstairs at the University Center.
If you will need to have business mail forwarded to you, please use the following address:
KAVLI INSTITUTE FOR THEORETICAL PHYSICS
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
SANTA BARBARA CA 93106-4030
(Please note that we are not part of the Dept. of Physics)
Items sent by Fed Ex, UPS, etc., may also be shipped directly to us at Kohn Hall.
The Institute fax machine (805-893-2431) is in the mailroom, and is available for your use 24 hours a day.
On Campus Dialing: To place a telephone call on the UCSB campus from a KITP phone, dial the last four digits of the 7-digit number. This also works for the KITP fax machine.
Off Campus Dialing: To place a call off campus, dial 9, then the 7-digit number. To place a long distance call, dial 9-1-area code, then the 7-digit number. For overseas calls, we ask that you use your personal phone or Skype. In the event of an exceptional need to place an overseas call from a KITP phone, the Institute may seek reimbursement. To dial direct overseas, dial 9-011-country code, then the local number.
Off Campus Fax Dialing: Do not forget to dial 9 before you enter the rest of your fax number!
Scanning can be done via the main copy machine which is located in the downstairs copy/print room (1018).
The main copy machine is located in the downstairs copy/print room (1018).