J-1 - Exchange Visitor Visa

The J-1 Visa is the most flexible visa as a salary may be paid as well as travel reimbursement. It is also the proper visa to travel on if you plan to vacation in the U.S. before or after your visit to KITP or will be coming with children who will need to attend school.

Note: This Visa may be subject to the skills list and a two-year residency requirement. It is advisable to check in one’s home country to see if this restriction applies.

If you choose to apply for the J-1 Visa, plan to begin the application process at least 3 - 6 months prior to your visit at KITP. (The host institution must prepare a DS-2019 form which is a Request for the J-1 Visa.) This request can be started as much as six months in advance of your arrival.

This procedure has changed – If you wish to apply for a J-1 Visa, please contact the Visa Specialist.