This checklist highlights the most important things for you to do upon your arrival at KITP. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our operation, our security system and policies in particular, and consult our “at KITP” web pages for more detailed information. Thank you.
- DIRECTIONS & PARKING – Information on getting here and parking. Campus parking is expensive, so please read the web page so you know how to get the best rate. For short-term parking, Lot 10 is most convenient to our building. Payment kiosks are on each floor. VIP permits (top level only) is $10 and can be used until 7:30 AM the following day. You can also pay by space for up to 4 hours.
- CHECK-IN – When you arrive at Kohn Hall, proceed to the front office, Room 1102, to pick up your keys, coffee mug, and orientation packet. The Visitor Services assistant will give you a quick orientation to the building and KITP services.
- REIMBURSEMENT – If you are receiving a reimbursement for local expenses and/or travel, please see the appropriate staff member as soon as possible after your arrival. Your orientation packet will direct you to the right person.
- COMPUTING, PRINTING, EMAIL – Your orientation packet and our computing pages contain instructions on setting up internet access and printing, along with other computing and hardware resources. Please contact the help desk or call 805-893-7340 if you need assistance.
- COFFEE/TEA – Self-serve coffee and tea are available in the downstairs kitchen. The Visitor Services Assistant, in Room 1102, can sell you espresso pods, $1.50 for a packet of two. The kitchens, on both floors, are always open so you can use the refrigerator and heat your meals. Both have filtered drinking water. Keeping the pots full and the kitchen neat is a community effort; please be considerate.
- SECURITY – Our main entrance is located on the west side of the building, across from the Courtyard Café and Parking Lot 10. This door, like several others, is equipped with a key card reader. Weekdays, from 8:00 AM-5:00 PM, you can enter through any door without your key card. After 5 PM on weekdays, and all day during weekends and holidays, you must enter through the main entrance or the door near the Simons Amphitheater, Room 1403. You must also exit through one of these doors — failure to do so will set off the alarms. Removing first-floor window screens will also set off the alarms. Please close your windows and lock your door when you leave your office for the day.
- PHONES – Using a KITP phone to call within UCSB/KITP, just dial the four-digit extension. To call outside UCSB, dial “9” before the number; to place a long distance call, dial 9-1-area code, then the 7-digit number. To dial direct overseas, dial 9-011-country code, then the local number.
Thanks for your cooperation, and have a wonderful stay! Please let us know how we can help.
- Location & Maps
KITP is in Kohn Hall, located directly across from the East Gate entrance of the UCSB campus in Santa Barbara, California.
You can find us on this campus map. Kohn Hall is near the ocean in quadrant D6, next to Lot 10. Here is another view that also shows the parking structure.
Kohn Hall Emergency Evacuation Map
If you are looking for us in a larger context, here is a Google map of KITP (in Kohn Hall) and environs.
UCSB Campus Maps
Campus maps, interactive version, and UCSB/Goleta Map.
Lot 10 is very convenient to KITP. We generally discourage driving to campus if you are here for a conference or as a program speaker--daily rates for campus parking are $8-10 per day, and some recommended hotels offer shuttles. On the 5th Floor ONLY, a VIP pass for KITP visitors to purchase at $10/day. VIP passes may be purchased for a single or several days. Do NOT use the parking permit machine in Lot 10 to buy a 'daily permit' on a weekday (unless you have a handicapped plackard and will be parking in a handicapped space). You will get a ticket! For four hours or less, you can buy an hourly "coastal" permit and park in designated first-floor stalls.
Weekly and Monthly Passes
For longer stays, you may want to purchase a long-term parking permit at a more economical rate of $56.00 per month. Be sure to identify yourself as "a KITP visitor/faculty member" to obtain the academic permit eligibility status. The staff can give you a map and directions to park in the Lot 10 structure. Permits are required Monday-Sunday 7:30am-10:00pm and can also be purchased from the parking lot pay machines after business hours (8am-5pm, M-F) when the Parking Services office is closed.
Parking Permit instructions from Transportation & Parking Services -
"Visitors needing less that eight days parking do not need to create a TPS account and may purchase permits at the TPS office, which information see below. For less than 30 days, permits should be purchased in eight day intervals.
For permits of 30 days or longer, an account must be created online.
To create a parking account, please go to the TPS website: www.tps.ucsb.edu
- Please click on the "Buy Your Parking Permit Here" button in the upper left corner.
- Click on any of the links on the next page i.e. "Manage My Account"
- At this point, you will need to click on the "newest users click here to create an account" link. This account must be created before you can purchase the appropriate permit at our office. We offer both a month (30 days) permit at $56, and a quarterly or annual permit.
A parking account must include a valid e-mail address and their vehicle information (license plate #, make, model, year, color, and VIN)
All 30-DAY permits and Daily permits have to be purchased at our parking office. Our parking office is located in Building 381 across from Harder Stadium in Lot 30. Our hours are Monday-Friday 7:30am-5pm"
Directions to Kohn Hall/UCSB
From Los Angeles International Airport:
- We recommend the Santa Barbara Airbus, particularly if you must return to LAX for your departing flight. The Airbus is reliable, efficient, and offers a reasonable round-trip fare of approximately $88 (prepaid). The nearest Airbus drop-off point to the UCSB campus is the Goleta terminal at 5755 Thornwood Drive. The Airbus drivers can call a taxi to pick you up from the airbus terminal; just request this service when you're picked up at LAX.
- If you are driving from LAX, exit the airport lot at Sepulveda Blvd., and follow Sepulveda Blvd. to the 405 North Freeway entrance. Follow 405 North to 101 North (Ventura Freeway). Remain on the 101 (for approximately one and a half hours) into Santa Barbara. Proceed through Santa Barbara and north for approximately 10 miles. Exit at the "UCSB/Ward Memorial" (Highway 217) offramp. Follow the signs onto campus. For campus directions, please review these UCSB maps.
From Santa Barbara Airport:
- The most convenient way to get to UCSB from the S.B. airport is to call "Yellow Cab" at 965-5111. The fare for the cab should be about $15; if you use the cabs at the airport, the fare is higher.
- If you are renting a car at the airport, turn right as you exit the rental car lot, onto William Moffet Lane. Follow the signs onto campus. It is less than a five-minute drive.
- If staying at The Best Western South Coast Inn, simply use the airport courtesy phone to call the Inn for pickup. If staying at Ramada Ltd., just take a taxi; your fare will be reimbursed.
Cookies, coffee, and tea are served in the Commons Room at 3:15 p.m. every day, except Tuesdays, during the school year. The kitchens must be maintained by all who use them. Please help keep the kitchens neat by cleaning up after all coffee and meal preparation.
ESPRESSO - There is an espresso machine, located in the Commons Room, on the first floor. A second machine is in the upstairs kitchen. Espresso is available to KITP scientists only for $1.00/bag (2 cartridges) from the Visitor Services Assistant in room 1102.
DRINKING WATER - Filtered water is available in the downstairs kitchen, there is also a water dispenser upstairs across from the elevator.
Sending and Receiving Mail
The mail room can be opened with your perimeter (black) key. Mail is received and sent out once each day at approximately 8:15 a.m. Fed Ex items usually are received and picked up throughout the day, but all requests for pickup must be phoned in before 3 p.m. Professional mail should bear the KITP return address and the name of the sender.
The University requests that personal mail, even though it is stamped, not be mailed through the campus mail, but rather be placed in a U.S. mailbox. There is a mailbox across the service road on the west side of the KITP by ENG I and the MRL and a U.S. Post Office downstairs at the University Center.
If you will need to have business mail forwarded to you, please use the following address:
KAVLI INSTITUTE FOR THEORETICAL PHYSICS
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
SANTA BARBARA CA 93106-4030
(Please note that we are not part of the Dept. of Physics)
Items sent by Fed Ex, UPS, etc., may also be shipped directly to us at Kohn Hall.
The Institute fax machine (805-893-2431) is in the mailroom, and is available for your use 24 hours a day.
On Campus Dialing: To place a telephone call on the UCSB campus from a KITP phone, dial the last four digits of the 7-digit number. This also works for the KITP fax machine.
Off Campus Dialing: To place a call off campus, dial 9, then the 7-digit number. To place a long distance call, dial 9-1-area code, then the 7-digit number. For overseas calls, we ask that you use your personal phone or Skype. In the event of an exceptional need to place an overseas call from a KITP phone, the Institute may seek reimbursement. To dial direct overseas, dial 9-011-country code, then the local number.
Off Campus Fax Dialing: Do not forget to dial 9 before you enter the rest of your fax number!
Scanning can be done via the main copy machine which is located in the downstairs copy/print room (1018).
The main copy machine is located in the downstairs copy/print room (1018).
KITP Technical Support Contact Info
For assistance with computing and related issues, please submit a request for help by sending an email to: help [at] kitp.ucsb.edu
Alternatively, you can use this form or call: (805) 893-7340. The help desk is located directly above the small seminar room, in Room 2202. Computer support is provided from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
The KITP Help Desk provides assistance with computing, talks, and related issues.
|Hours||Monday to Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|help [at] kitp.ucsb.edu (preferred)|
Visitors can be loaned a Mac OS X machine upon request. We can also supply screens for those planning to bring their own laptop.
General purpose desktop workstations are located in Room 2202. If you plan to use a laptop, you may still want to use the workstation to look up our computing help pages for assistance setting up your laptop, or for X Windows and printing. It is also possible to transfer files to the Mac workstations via the network (sftp/scp) or a USB keychain drive. For help with MacOS in general, please refer to our MacOS help page.
If you plan to bring a laptop, be sure to read our laptop policy.
Information for configuring your laptop is available for most standard platforms. KITP computing staff will provide the requisite information to make minor configuration changes needed to make laptops work within this environment, but we do not support visitors' laptops. Before leaving your home institution, you should ensure that your laptop has all the required software and is appropriately configured.
The KITP has laser printers available on both floors - in rooms 2202 and 1018. All laser printers offer a duplex option allowing double sided printing. Please print double-sided to save paper. Please don’t send multiple copies to the queue - contact the help desk first if you have problems.
Wi-Fi network access is available in Kohn Hall. If are visiting from an eduoroam participating institution, you may select eduroam as your Wi-Fi network on your device and login using your home institution’s credentials. Alternatively, you may connect to the KITP Wi-Fi network, please see your Welcome Packet for details.
If you prefer wired Ethernet access, please contact us. Set your computer to use DHCP (auto-detect); you may have to contact the help desk to activate the port. For assistance, visit our network configuration page.
For a complete listing of KITP phone lines, see the DIRECTORY.
KITP Email Lists
Most KITP email lists are available for subscription.
- To subscribe to list, "list", send email to: list-on [at] kitp.ucsb.edu
- To unsubscribe from list, "list", send email to: list-off [at] kitp.ucsb.edu
When unsubscribing, send your email from the account which is subscribed.
Program lists are named after program acronym with lowercase letters. For example, to subscribe to the Spintronics mailing list, send email to spintr06-on [at] kitp.ucsb.edu.
For those who wish to teach at their home institutions or stay in contact with collaborators while at KITP, we have a telepresence room in Room 2205. This room makes it possible to teach and interact with the remote site almost as easily as if you were in the same room. Facilities include a projector, videoconferencing equipment, a blackboard, and phone with network ports. Please contact the help desk to make a reservation.
UCSB Computing Resources include the CNSI Compute Clusters and other campus resources.
For reimbursement for local expenses and/or travel, please see one of the financial staff as soon as possible after your arrival. If you are unsure whom to see, the Financial Assistant (Room 1104) will be able to assist or to redirect you.
For visits of less than 30 days, there will be one reimbursement for the financial commitments made in your invitation letter. This will generally be issued shortly prior to your departure. Please bring sufficient funds with you to cover your expenses, especially your entire rent. Note that, if you stay in a hotel, we will not be able to provide you with a reimbursement prior to your departure. If you live outside the US and would like to request your reimbursement via wire transfer, we will need to deduct the cost of the transfer from your reimbursement. Please contact the Financial Assistant if you have questions about a wire transfer.
For visits of more than 30 days, reimbursement checks will be issued once a month, usually around the first of the month, for the previous month, e.g., June 1 for the month of May.
Bring your paid travel receipt(s) to the Conference Assistant or Financial Assistant (for visits of 1-2 or 3+ weeks, respectively) in order to initiate your travel reimbursement.
You will receive your travel reimbursement at the same time you receive your first reimbursement for local expenses. Reimbursement checks for local living expenses will be issued once a month, usually around the first of the month for those staying more than 30 days.
If driving to KITP from your home institution:
It is the policy of the University that "the reimbursement of surface transportation costs, shall not exceed the cost of airfare, based on the lowest restricted coach fare (including discounts) provided by a standard commercial air carrier, plus transportation costs to and from the terminals." In order to establish this, you need to get a price comparison for a round-trip ticket to and from your departing airport to SB. These rates will determine how much of the driving mileage and related expenses you can have reimbursed (but not to exceed the KITP's commitment). These comparison rates must be given to our Financial Manager. The ultimate decision to drive/fly always rests with the traveler, but you must provide us with this information in order to be reimbursed.
KITP can only reimburse appropriately itemized expenses. Travel "packages" offered by Internet vendors typically do not include itemized expenses. In order to ensure appropriate documentation for reimbursement, no travel to the institute should be booked through such vendors unless the traveler has confirmed that each aspect of the package will be separately itemized (e.g., itemized hotel charges, airfare, car rental, etc.).
UCSB reimbursement checks can be cashed at local banks off campus — including the Wells Fargo Bank in Isla Vista, Chase Bank in Isla Vista, Wells Fargo Bank on Fairview, and Bank of America on Fairview. If you have difficulty, please ask for the manager.
KITP is not permitted to advance funds or purchase a ticket for you. Before coming, you will have to make arrangements to have sufficient money available.
- If visiting KITP for less than 3 weeks, see the Financial Manager in Room 1108 at the end of your visit.
- For visits 3 weeks or longer, see the Financial Assistant in Room 1104 at the beginning of your visit.
In the event of an emergency, call 911.
If you do not have local health insurance and require medical care, you may still seek medical services from the following resources:
Hospitals (available 24 hours a day)
|Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital
351 S Patterson Ave, Goleta, CA 93111
Phone: (805) 967-3411
|Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital
Emergency Room Location: West Junipero St. and, Castillo St, Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Cottage Health Address: 400 W Pueblo St, Santa Barbara, CA 93102
Phone: (805) 682-7111
For more routine illness
Santa Barbara Neighborhood Clinic in Isla Vista
Address: 970 Embarcadero del Mar, Isla Vista, CA 93117
The Med Center-Goleta
Address: 271 N Fairview Ave Suite 101, Goleta, CA 93117
The Med Center-Santa Barbara
Address: 2954 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Children's Medical Clinic
Address: 15 East Arrellaga St #2 Santa Barbara, CA
Other medical facilities are listed under "Clinics" and "Physicians" in the Santa Barbara telephone directory.
Seasonal Information (Subject to change)
- Flu Shots:
- American Lung Association Flu Clinic Locator
- Samsum Clinic
- Walgreens (daily 10:00 AM-4:00 PM, appointment recommended.)
- Local Flu Information (both seasonal & H1N1): SB County Public Health Department
One 2014 visitor recommended Johnson Family Dental for a major unexpected procedure.
For emergencies, please dial 9-1-1. To contact police for non-emergency situations, call the Campus Police Dispatch at 805-893-3446. Please also notify KITP's Chief Administrative Officer or the Director, as soon as it is safe for you to do so.
The Campus Safety Officer (CSO) Escort Service can be reached by calling the Police Dispatch Escort Phone Line at 805-893-2000. We encourage everyone to use this service whenever they feel uncomfortable or unsafe walking or biking alone. CSOs are equipped with digital radios which allow them to be in constant contact with the Police Dispatch and Police Officers.
Fire Alarm Protocol
Immediately exit the building and meet on the lawn across from the 1500 wing, adjacent to Harold Frank Hall. Await an "all clear" from the Chief Administrative Officer or a Fire Safety official prior to returning into the building.
First Aid Supplies and AED
A large first aid kit is available in the Kohn Hall mailroom (Room 1233), and is available 24 hours a day (use your mailroom key to access outside of business hours).
An AED (Automatic Electronic Defibrilator) is located just outside the Small Seminar Room, 1003A, in a red box. Instructions are in the box.
Hospitals (available 24 hours a day)
If you do not have local health insurance and require medical care, you may still seek medical services from the following resources:
|Hospitals:||Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital||Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital|
|Address:||351 S Patterson Ave, Goleta, CA 93111||
400 W Pueblo St, Santa Barbara, CA 93102
Emergency Room: West Junipero St. and, Castillo St, Santa Barbara, CA 93105
|(805) 967-3411||(805) 682-7111|
Please contact the Chief Administrative Officer if you have specific questions.