We are providing this information in connection with your recent letter of invitation to participate in a KITP program. We hope that your visit will be a smooth and productive one. As you prepare for your visit, other "Before your Visit" pages in the left-hand menu will help you plan. In particular, please note:
Things to do right away:
- RSVP — If you have not already confirmed your attendance, please do so as soon as possible. Most invitations start on a Monday and end on a Friday. Your invitation tacitly includes weekends or holidays surrounding your visit, but you will not be issued an entry key to the building until staff are present (Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 12 PM and 1 PM - 5 PM).
- Housing — KITP does not provide any financial support to affiliates and affiliates must find their own housing. Your invitation email and letter offer housing suggestions. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Visa — If you are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, please pay careful attention to the visa information.
- Waiver information — If you plan to come on the waiver, please note that you now must have a Machine Readable Passport (MRP) and an ESTA -- no exceptions. In order for us to reimburse you, you must obtain a W-B status when you enter the U.S.
- If you come on the B- visa, be sure to request the B-1 status for business when you enter the U.S. so that you are able to be reimbursed for travel expenses and subsistence. If you need assistance with another type of visa, please let the Visa Specialist know as soon as possible so that the necessary paperwork can be started.
- If you need assistance with a J-1 visa, please let the Visa Specialist know as soon as possible so that the necessary paperwork can be started. (Plan to begin the application process at least 3 - 6 months prior to your visit at KITP.)
- If you will have a visa (J or H) issued by another institution, please contact our Visa Specialist for instructions.
- Conference — If you will be at KITP during the dates of your program’s associated conference, you must register and pay the associated fee at least 30 days before the conference begins. As a program affiliate, you are eligible for a reduced registration fee. Please email the Conference Assistant for details.
- Parking and Directions, Campus Parking Lots— Please read the parking information and follow it carefully.
- Reimbursements — If your invitation letter stated that you are receiving a reimbursement and you will be visiting the KITP for a month or less, you will receive one reimbursement check just prior to your departure. We cannot advance funds, so please make any financial arrangements necessary prior to your arrival to assure that you will have sufficient funds while you are here.
- Staff Contacts — People whom you may wish to contact about programs.
Request a change to the dates for which you have been invited — As the Director states in your letter of invitation, because of space and financial limitations, any significant change in the duration or time of your visit requires consultation with the coordinators and with us. This includes changes that would result in your participation for less than the whole period for which you are invited. Should you need to request a change in the dates of your scheduled visit, you may do so through your HERALD account.
We suggest referring to our arrival guide checklist, and possibly printing it out, prior to traveling to KITP.