It is important that you have the correct visa and status if you are to receive any form of financial reimbursement or payment while at the Institute. Please check your visa when it is issued and the status you are given (B1 vs. B2 for example) when you enter the U.S., to be certain that you have been given the proper one. NOTE: For a variety of reasons, many U.S. embassies are taking much longer to process visa paperwork than they have in the past. Please apply early for your paperwork to be processed.

Following are the most frequently requested visas: 

B-1: Visitors' Visa for Business --- This visa allows visitors to be reimbursed for travel expenses and subsistence. It is initiated in the home country and no letter of invitation is needed. 

B-2: Visitors and Pleasure Visa --- B-2 visa holders may be reimbursed for reasonable travel and incidental expenses incurred in connection with a usual academic activity not exceeding 9 days in duration, provided that such individual has not received travel and incidental expenses from more than 5 educational institutions in the previous 6-month period.

W-B: Waiver Program --- If you are eligible to enter the U.S. on the waiver program (without a visa) and you are to receive any financial reimbursement while you are here, your passport must be marked WB at the point of entry. Please note: this is technically not a visa; it is a status that you must obtain when you enter the U.S. You must receive this WB status in order for KITP to be able to reimburse you.  If you have a WT status, you will be subject to the same 9 day rule as the B-2 visa holder (see above).

J-1: Exchange Visitor Visa --- This is the most flexible visa as a salary may be paid as well as travel reimbursement. It is also the proper visa to travel on if you plan to vacation in the U.S, before or after your visit to KITP or if you will be coming with children who will need to attend school.

H-1: Temporary Worker of Distinguished Merit and Ability --- This is a visa giving nonimmigrant status to a visitor who is coming to work temporarily in the U.S. Its maximum time period is five years. To acquire an H-1 visa takes considerable documentation and time (at least four to six months) and is not recommended for short stays.

It is very important that you be covered by health insurance while in the U.S. Please arrange to get such insurance before you leave your home country.

Note: If you will have a visa (J or F) issued by another institution, please contact Timber Kelley at for instructions.