There are many countries with which the U.S. has an immigration agreement that allows its citizens to enter the U.S. for up to 90 days without a visa. This is known as the visa waiver program (VWP). If you are eligible to enter the U.S. under the terms of the waiver program (see list), then this allows the KITP to reimburse you for travel and local expenses for a period of up to 90 days without a visa provided you obtain the correct -- business -- status (W-B).

Not all countries participate in the VWP, and not all travelers from VWP countries are eligible to use the program. VWP travelers are screened prior to admission into the United States but do not need to go to a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

The waiver agreement requires that you have a passport from a participating country, have a round-trip ticket in hand, stay within the 90 day limit, and demonstrate financial solvency (your KITP financial commitment letter will suffice).

In order to come on the waiver, all parties must have a e-passport and an ESTA.

Please click on the Waiver Updates tab for the latest information.

Do not get a tourist waiver!! This status restricts tourist (WT) status holders to a 9-day (not the 90 days possible with the WB) period of reimbursement. Please be aware of this restriction and do not say you are a tourist.

Please check the State Department site for a list of those countries with Waiver Agreements.

Please Note: Immigration Officials have been given increased discretion when determining the period of stay in the U.S. for the W- and B- categories. We have been advised that proof of the length of your visit may be required to receive permission to stay in the U.S. in excess of 30 days regardless of the longer period actually allowed. Please bring your invitation letter with you so that you may establish your visit dates should it be necessary to do so. Please contact the Visa Specialist if you have any questions.

Note: if you plan to vacation before or after your visit to KITP or will be coming with children who will need to attend school, please click to the J-1 tab for more information.